* Vegetable of your choice – potato, cauliflower, spinach leaves, onion, paneer for example
* 1 cup bengal gram four
* Water to make batter
* 1/2 tsp red chilli powder
* Pinch of asafetida
* 1/2 tsp turmeric
* 1 tsp thymol seeds
* Salt to taste
* Vegetable/canola/sunflower cooking oil to deep fry
* Mix the gram flour and all the spices with a little water at a time, to make a thick batter (slightly thicker than pancake batter). Add salt to taste.
* If using cauliflower cut it into bite-sized pieces. For potatoes and onions slice thin; for spinach leaves trim the stems and keep only leaves; for paneer cut into 1″ cubes.
* Pre-heat oil and reduce flame to medium. This will allow the bhajias to cook well both on the outside and inside.
* Coat the vegetables well with batter and then deep fry till golden.
* Drain on paper towels and serve with tamarind chutney or tomato ketchup.