The Companies Act, 1956
304. Inspection of the register
(1) The register kept under section 303 shall be open to the inspection of any member of the company without charge and of any other person on payment of one rupee for each inspection during business hours subject to such reasonable restrictions as the company may by its articles or in general meeting impose, so that not less than two hours in each day are allowed for inspection.
(2) If any inspection required under sub-section (1) is refused,-
(a) The company, and every officer of the company who is in default, shall be punishable with fine which may extend to 1[five hundred rupees]; and
(b) The 2[Central Government or Tribunal, as the case may be,] may, by order, compel an immediate inspection of the register.
1. Subs. by Act 53 of 2000, sec. 149, for “fifty rupees” (w.e.f. 13-12-2000).
2. Subs. by Act 31 of 1988, sec. 67, for “Court” (w.e.f. 31-5-1991) and again subs. by Act 11 of 2003, sec. 35, for “Company Law Board”.