Delhi Sales Tax, 1975
28. Special mode of recovery
(1) Notwithstanding anything contained in any law or contract to the contrary, the Commissioner may, at any time or from time to time, by notice in writing, a copy of which shall be forwarded to the dealer at his last known address, require-
(a) Any person from whom any amount of money is due, or may become due, to a dealer on whom notice has been served under sub-section (1) of section 25, or
(b) any person who holds or may subsequently hold money for or on account of such dealer, to pay to the Commissioner, either forthwith upon the money becoming due or being held or within the time specified in the first mentioned notice (but not before the money becomes due or is held as aforesaid) so much of the money as is sufficient to pay the amount due by the dealer in respect of the arrears of tax and penalty under this Act, or the whole of the money when it is equal to or less than that amount .
Explanation.- For the purposes of this sub-section, the amount of money due to a dealer from,or money held for or on account of a dealer by, any person, shall be calculated by the Commissioner after deducting therefrom such claims (if any) lawfully subsisting, as may have fallen due for payment by such dealer to such person.
(2) The Commissioner may amend or revoke any such notice or extend the time for making any payment in pursuance of the notice.
(3) Any person making any payment in compliance with a notice under this section shall be deemed to have made the payment under the authority of the dealer, and the receipt thereof by the Commissioner shall constitute a good and sufficient discharge of the liability of such person to the extent of the amount specified in the receipt.
(4) Any person discharging any liability to the dealer after receipt of the notice referred to in this section, shall be personally liable to the Commissioner to the extent of the liability discharged or to the extent of the liability of dealer for tax and penalty which ever is less.
(5)where a person to show a notice under this section is sent, proves to the satisfaction of the Commissioner that the sum demanded or any part thereof is not due to the dealer or that he does not hold any money for or on account of the dealer, then, nothing contained in this section shall be deemed to require such person to pay any such sum or part thereof, as the case may be, to the Commissioner.
(6) Any amount of money which the aforesaid person is required to pay to the Commissioner, or for which he is personally liable to the Commissioner under this section shall, if it remains unpaid, be recoverable as an arrear of land revenue.
(7) The Commissioner may apply to the court in whose custody there is money belonging to the dealer for payment to him of the entire amount of such money or if it is more than the tax and penalty, if any, due, an amount sufficient to discharge such tax and the penalty.