South Asian University Act,2008
Section 1. Short title, extent and commencement
SOUTH ASIAN UNIVERSITY ACT,20081
[Act No. 8 of 2009]
An Act to give effect to the Agreement for the establishment of South Asian University and for matters connected therewith or incidental thereto
Whereas an Agreement for the establishment of the South Asian University was signed on behalf of the respective Governments of the Member States of the South Asian Association for Regional Co-operation (SAARC) on the 4th day of April,2007;
And whereas Article 1 of the said Agreement provides that the main campus of the University shall be located in India, therefore, it is expedient to make provisions for giving effect to the said Agreement;
Be it enacted by Parliament in the Fifty-ninth Year of the Republic of India as follows:-
Prefatory Note-Statement of Objects and Reasons.
1. The vision of establishing the South Asian University was born at the thirteenth SAARC Summit held in Dhaka in November,2005 to provide world class facilities and professional faculty to students and researchers from the Member States of the South Asian Association for Regional Co-operation (SAARC).
2. The Agreement for the establishment of South Asian University was signed on behalf of the respective Governments of the Member States of the SAARC on the 4th day of April,2007 at the fourteenth SAARC Summit. The Member States also decided that the main campus of the South Asian University shall be located at New Delhi.
3. The object of the proposed legislation is to establish a world class institution that will attract the brightest and most dedicated students and teachers from across South Asia with a view to (i) disseminating and advancing knowledge, wisdom and understanding by providing instructional and research facilities in various branches of learning; (ii) taking appropriate measures for promoting innovations in teaching-learning process, inter-disciplinary studies and application of knowledge to social advancement, and human welfare; (iii) imparting education towards capacity building of the South Asian nations in the domain of science, technology and other areas of higher learning vital for improving their quality of life; (iv) promoting regional peace and security by creating a multicultural atmosphere of tolerance and understanding; (v) fostering sound civic sense and to train them to become useful citizens of democratic societies; and (vi) building a South Asian community of learning by strengthening regional consciousness.
4. The proposed University, inter alia, seeks to harmonise the academic standards and accredition norms in teaching, research and curriculum that are acceptable to all Member States of the SAARC. The proposed Bill also takes into account the needs and activities of the University which will be conducive to the efficiency and development of the higher education in the South Asian region.
The Bill seeks to achieve the above objects.
1. Received the assent of the President on January 11,2009 and published in the Gazette of India, Extra., Part II, Section 1, dated 13th January,2009, pp. 1-12, No. 10
(1) This Act may be called the South Asian University Act,2008.
It extends to the whole of India and to campuses and centres established outside India in the SAARC region.
(2) It shall come into force on such date as the Central Government may, by notification in the Official Gazette, appoint and different dates may be appointed for different provisions of this Act.