Science and Engineering Research Board Act,2008
Section 1. Short title and commencement
SCIENCE AND ENGINEERING RESEARCH BOARD ACT,20081
[Act No. 9 of 2009]
An Act to provide for the constitution of a Board for promoting basic research in Science and Engineering and to provide financial assistance to persons engaged in such research, academic institutions, research and development laboratories, industrial concerns and other agencies for such research and for matters connected therewith or incidental thereto
Be it enacted by Parliament in the Fifty-ninth Year of the Republic of India as follows:-
Prefatory Note-Statement of Objects and Reasons.-India, with her large and young human resource and tradition of search for knowledge finds herself at the vista of an opportunity in the changing knowledge-based global economy to emerge as a major economic power in the least possible time. There are indicative successes in the areas of Information and Communication Technology, Biotechnology and Drugs and Pharmaceutical sectors. India is slated to become a global Research and Development hub.
2. In order to achieve such pre-eminence position, India needs to sustain and increase its strength in basic research in science and engineering as it provides the fertile ground on which innovation thrives and grows. India’s relative position in basic research among nations has slowed down in recent times due to a variety of factors which require immediate attention if the country is to maintain its pace and edge in the evolving knowledge-based economy.
3. The Science and Engineering Research Board Bill,2008, therefore, seeks to create an autonomous Board with necessary administrative and financial powers and operational flexibility for promoting basic research in science and engineering in order to achieve higher levels of excellence in internationally-competitive basic research. The functions hitherto handled by the Department of Science and Technology under the advice of a Science and Engineering Research Council are proposed to be transferred to this new entity.
4. The Science and Engineering Research Board shall serve as a premier multi-disciplinary research funding agency for planning, promoting and funding basic research in every emerging area of science and engineering.
5. The Bill seeks to achieve the above objectives.
1. Received the assent of the President on January 17,2009 and published in the Gazette of India, Extra., Part II, Section 1, dated 19th January,2009, pp. 1 -7, No. 12
(1) This Act may be called the Science and Engineering Research Board Act,2008.
(2) It shall come into force on such date as the Central Government may, by notification in the Official Gazette, appoint.