To reduce the intensity of menstrual symptoms, you can change your diet:
· Less sugar, and slightly more protein.
· Diuretic foods such as eggplant, cucumbers and parsley can help diminish water retention.
· Calcium supplements (1 gram per day) and magnesium (500 milligrams) can help reduce anxiety (always take both).
· Vitamin B-6 (not more than 50 milligrams per day) can alleviate symptoms of anxiety and tension.
· Vitamins E and C also help reduce the intensity of cramps.
· Aspirin has a mildly soothing effect.
· And once again you can turn to plants to relieve your pains:
* ANGELICA in infusion: 3 1/2 tablespoons of root per quart of water.
* MATRIX (derived from the Latin for womb): 2 teaspoons of flowers per quart of water.
* MILFOI OR YARROW which soothes and reduces overly abundant menstruation: about 5 1/2 tablespoons of flower tops per quart of water.
* SAGE in infusion: I 1/2 tablespoons of dried leaves per quart of water.In extreme cases, ask your doctor for medication to alleviate pain.