When to file defamation case ?

Welcome Forums Law General Questions When to file defamation case ?

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • Author
    • #241

      As per this Judgement http://indiankanoon.org/doc/1886583/

      it says….

      16. Shri Bhattacharjee has also submitted that if the respondents had not

      filed the complaint on time or if they were asked to file complaint

      subsequently, the question of limitation will be applicable and the complaint

      may be barred by limitation as the offence under Section 500 IPC is punishable

      upto two years imprisonment and, as such, in view of the provision contained in

      Section 468(2)(C) of the Cr.PC the period of limitation is 3 years. Learned

      counsel has referred to the decision of the Apex Court in the case of Surinder

      Mohan v. Asharaj 1978 (2) SCC 403, the Apex Court held that the limitation shall

      commence from the date on which the accusation has been made and not from the

      date of acquittal in the criminal case. It is also submitted that the period of

      limitation cannot be extended by the Court even,

      Anyone enlighten me when to file DEFAMATION case ?

    • #1430

      You can counter her FIR if her(assuming you charged under 498A) statement said to be false and you have some evidence;

      You have to prove your innocence in Criminal cases and in Civil matters you defend when case is running but to file Damage / Defamation you have to have Final verdict on your case.

      You can file suit for damages for malicious prosecution.You can also file criminal complaint for defamation.

      Malicious Prosecution: victim needs to prove his innocense. ( eg: 498A IPC )

      1- he was prosecuted by defendant – Where the magistrate takes cognizance of a complainant under s.190 of the Cr.P.C, examines the complainant on oath under s.200, holds an inquiry in open court under s.202 which the plaintiff attends and dismisses the complaint under s.203 of the Code, the prosecution is deemed to have commenced so as to found an action for malicious prosecution (bar under s.195).

      2- proceedings are terminated in favour of plaintiff – Even if plaintiff is convicted by trial court and on appeal is acquitted – cause of action for malicious prosecution arises. Plaintiff (accused in 498a) need not prove his innocence but merely absence of any judicial determination of guilt.

      3- reasonable and probable cause – your wife should honestly believe and that belief must have an honest conviction of the existence of circumstances and these circumstances should be reasonable grounds which would lead a fairly cautious man in your probable guilt in order to file a case against you.

      4- malicious intention and damage to reputation should have occured – wish to injure you rather than vindicate by law, absence of reasonable and probable cause, proof of absence of honest belief, false charges, acquittal on merits and not merely acquittal.

      Also, judgment of acquittal in criminal proceedings is evidence but not enough in civil proceedings – you need to discharge the burden of proving want of reasonable and probable cause (wife had no cause but was done out of malice) for the prosecution – for recovery of damages.

      Read more on defamation here http://mynation.net/ipc.htm

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.