1 whole fish
1 tablespoon of garam masala
3 tablespoons cooking oil
Grind the following to a fine paste:
4cms or 1 inch piece ginger
1 teaspoon cumin seeds
8 cloves of garlic
1 tablespoon red chilli powder
5cms or 2 inch cube of green papaya
juice of 2 lemons
1 teaspoon turmeric powder
Salt to taste
1. Clean and scale the fish. Wash it well.
2. Wipe and dry the fish. Make four slits on either side of the fish with a sharp knife.
3. Apply the ground paste all over including the inside of the stomach.
4. Marinate this mixture for 8 hours.
5. Pierce the fish length wise with a skewer and cook in a tandoor or on a charcoal barbecue. However if these methods of
cooking are not available then cook under a grill or bake in the oven.
6. Turn the fish every 10 minutes and cook until light brown. Heat the oil and brush on the fish with a pastry brush while cooking.
7. When the fish is almost cooked sprinkle with garam masala and cook till it turns golden brown. Serve with slices of lemon, naan and mint chutney.