MyNation KnowledgeBase

Landmark Judgments and Articles on Law

Register to Download


The right to petition Parliament in a democracy is basic and of immense importance.  The Rules of the Council of States (Rajya Sabha) permit all citizens of the country to petition the Rajya Sabha in respect of the following: –

     ·     Any Bill which has been published in the Gazette of India or which has been introduced or in respect of which Notice of a Motion has been received. 

     ·     Any matter of general public interest which falls within the domain of the  Government of India

(excepting matters which are sub judice or for which remedy is available under Law, Rules, Regulations or Bye-laws made by or under the authority of the Central Government)

Petitions may be submitted in the format given below in English or Hindi, signed by the Petitioner:-




            The petition of ……………………………………………………………………..

(Here insert name and designation or description of petitioner(s) in concise form, e.g…………………………… “A,  B,   and other” or “the inhabitants of ………………..”  or “the Municipality of ……………………………………….” etc.).




            and accordingly your petitioner (s) pray that ………………………………………

            (Here insert “that the Bill be or be not proceeded with” or “that special provision be made in the Bill to meet the case of your petitioner (s) or any other appropriate prayer regarding the Bill or matter pending before the Council or a matter of general public interest”).

Name of Petitioner Address Signature or thumb impression
See also  Landmark judgment on exhibition of documents


Counter-Signature of Member presenting

       The Petitions addressed to the Council of States (Rajya Sabha) may either be sent direct to the Secretary-General, Rajya Sabha, Parliament House, New Delhi or may be sent after getting them countersigned by a Member of Parliament (Rajya Sabha). Only such of the petitions as are found in conformity with the Rules of Procedure and Conduct of Business in the Council of States governing their admissibility and are admitted by the Hon’ble Chairman, Rajya Sabha shall be presented to the Council of States (Rajya Sabha) by the Rajya Sabha Members countersigning them or reported to the Council of States in case they have not been countersigned by any Member of Rajya Sabha. The petitions raising individual grievances or trivial matters will, however, be summarily rejected and no correspondence will be entertained in this regard. Each petition after it has been presented or reported to the Council of the States (Rajya Sabha) shall stand  referred to the Committee on Petitions of the House.

            The Committee on Petitions will examine every petition referred to it. The recommendations of the Committee on the Petition will be presented in the form of a Report to the Rajya Sabha whereafter the recommendations will receive the consideration of the appropriate Ministry of the Government of India. This process will be monitored by the Committee on Petitions.


  1. Respected Sirs,

    I am well aware that you have been elected to represent your citizens in parliament on various petitions.

    Sir, you are aware of the rising costs of livelihood and are surely aware of the great hardships faced by your fellow people.

    Sir, all I request you is to make a representation for all your aam aadmi retirees who have had to face the axe on account of the recent implementation of the gratuity Act wef 24.05.2010. For Govt. employees the effective date of gratuity has been cited as 01.01.2006 without any tax deduction then why for the others it should be 24.05.2010? Isnt this injustice or should I say unfair practice? All your fellow citizens retired from various psu’s and priuvate sectors have become silent sufferers on account of this great lapse. Hence we would like you to take up this matter for justice or else kindly divert this mail to the proper channel or authority handling this issue.

    Your helping retired fellow citizens would go a long way in giving us comfort if this gratuity implementation date is changed to 01.01.2006 for ALL without any tax deduction as Rs.6.5 lakhs is a big amount we are losing on account of the bill being passed w.e.f. 24.05.2010.

    Sir I look forward to receiving just a line from you to say that you could help all the retirees from 01.01.2006 to 23.05.2010 by taking up this matter.

  2. When the labor minister introduced the amendment to gratuity act 2010, employees retired in other sectors were expecting that the effective date for raising the ceiling amount from Rs:3.5 lacs to 10.0 lacs will be 1.1.2006 as done for the employees in the government sector. However, employees retired from 1.1.2006 to 23.5.2010 got the biggest jolt when the effective date for other sector was notified as 24.5.2010. Sir, it is the known facts that for retired senor citizens, the only source of income is form retirement benefits.

    Sir, through you, can I, on behalf of employees retired from other sectors during the period 1.1.2006 to 23.5.2010 request all MPs of Rajya Sabha compel the government to correct the effective date of gratuity act amendment bill effective from 1.1.2006. This shall bring parity in the gratuity act and uniform retirement benefit is applicable across all sectors.

    // You can file Petition but varify what exactly amendment says, is it for all sectors or only for Govt emplyees on 2006. — eDitor

  3. The latest amendment in this act is pass in parliament on April 22, 2010, entails-in enhancing the ceiling from Rs. 3,50,000 to Rs. 10,00,000. This amendment was done on April 8, 2010 and shall be implemented with immediate effect.


  5. You can submit Petition along with other supports and then can lobby RS member to take up your issue.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.

Not found ...? HOW TO WIN 498a, DV, DIVORCE; Search in Above link
MyNation Times Magzine

All Law documents and Judgment copies
Laws and Bare Acts of India
Important SC/HC Judgements on 498A IPC
Rules and Regulations of India.


CopyRight @ MyNation

Free Legal Help, Just WhatsApp Away

MyNation HELP line

We are Not Lawyers, but No Lawyer will give you Advice like We do

Please read Group Rules – CLICK HERE, If You agree then Please Register CLICK HERE and after registration  JOIN WELCOME GROUP HERE

We handle Women Centric biased laws like False Section 498A IPC, Domestic Violence(DV ACT), Divorce, Maintenance, Alimony, Child Custody, HMA 24, 125 CrPc, 307, 312, 313, 323, 354, 376, 377, 406, 420, 497, 506, 509; TEP, RTI and many more…

See also  Whether legal representative of deceased who was not party to proceeding will be bound by decree?
MyNation FoundationMyNation FoundationMyNation Foundation