In Re: E&I Of Dowry Prohibition … vs Union Of India (Uoi) And Ors. on 6 April, 1998Equivalent citations: I (1999) DMC 15 SC, JT 1998 (6) SC 412, (1998) 5 SCC 570
Bench: A Anand, S R Babu
1. The following States and Union Territories have not filed the counter-affidavits till date:
1. Arunachal Pradesh
4. Himachal Pradesh
5. Jammu & Kashmir
12. Tamil Nadu
14. Andaman & Nicobar Islands
15. Daman & Diu
2. Learned counsel appearing for these States/UTs pray for and are granted four weeks to file the affidavits in response to the petition.
3. The counter-affidavits filed by some of the other States including the Union of India do not give a complete picture. We, therefore, direct the Central Government to furnish the following details:
(a) Steps taken with respect to the administration of the Act under Section 9(2)(b) of the Act; and
(b) Steps taken, if any, to create awareness regarding the provisions of the Dowry Prohibition Act, 1961 and the Dowry Prohibition (Maintenance of Lists and Presents to the Bride and Bridegroom) Rules, 1985 in the public.
4. The information shall be furnished on an affidavit of a competent officer.
5. The State Governments including those which have filed the counter-affidavits shall also furnish the following information;
(a) Steps, if any, taken to bring about awareness regarding the provisions of the Dowry Prohibition Act and the Dowry Prohibition (Maintenance of Lists and Presents to the Bride and Bridegroom) Rules, 1985 to the public;
(b) Whether rules have been framed under Section 10 of the Act;
(c) The number of Dowry Prohibition Officers appointed for each district in the State under Section 8B of the Act;
(d) The number of cases instituted suo motu by the Dowry Prohibition Officers for violation of the provisions of the Act with details;
(e) Statistics with regard to the cases registered under Sections 3, 4 and 6(2) of the Act; and
(f) Whether Advisory Boards have been set up as required under Section 8B along with details of the composition of the Board.
6. The States which have already filed the counter-affidavits shall furnish the above information by way of an additional affidavit while the States which have yet to file the counter-affidavits shall include these details in the counter-affidavits to be filed by them.
7. The case is adjourned by six weeks within which period the counter-affidavits and the additional affidavits shall be filed. Advance copies shall be furnished to the learned amicus curiae who will file a complete chart indicating compliance with the directions given hereinabove.