The Advocates Act, 1961
Section.1. Short title, extent and commencement
2(1) This Act may be called the Advocates Act, 1961.
2[(2) It extends2 to the whole of India]
(3) It 3[shall, in relation to the territories other than those referred to in sub-section (4) come into force] on such date 4 as the Central Government may, by notification in the Official Gazette, appoint, and different dates3 may be appointed for different provisions of this Act.
5[(4) This Act shall, in relation to the State of Jammu and Kashmir6 and the Union territory of Goa, Daman and Diu, come into force on such date7 as the Central Government may, by notification in the Official Gazette, appoint in this behalf, and different dates may be appointed for different provisions of this Act.
1. Subs, by Act 60 of 1973, sec. 2, for sub-section (2) (w.e.f. 31-1-1974).
2. The Act has been extended to
The Union territory of Dadra & Nagar Haveli by Regulation 8 of 1963.
The Union territory of Pondicherry by Act 26 of 1968, sec. 3 and Sch.
3. Subs, by Act 60 of 1973, sec. 2 (w.e.f. 31-1-1974).
4. The following are the Notifications by which different dates have been appointed for different provisions of this Act:-
|S.O. 1870, dated 7th August, 1961||16-08-61||Chapters I, II and VII.|
|S.O. 2790, dated 24th November, 1961||01-12-61||Chapter III and sub-section (2) of section 50.|
|S.O. 2919, dated 13th December, 1961||15-12-61||Sub-section (1) of section 50.|
|S.O. 297, dated 24th January, 1962||24-01-62||Section 51 and 52.|
|S.O. 958, dated 29th March, 1962||29-03-62||Section 46,|
|S.O. 50, dated 4th January, 1963||04-01-63||Section 32 and Chapter VI [except section 46, sub-section (1) and (2) of section 50, section 51 and 52.]|
|S.O. 2509, dated 31st August, 1963||01-09-63||Chapter V|
|S.O. 63, dated 7th June 1968 in the Union territory of Pondicherry||10-06-68||Chapters I, II and III, section 32, Chapters IV, V, VI, VII and VIII.|
|S.O. 1500, dated 5th April, 1969||01-06-69||Sections 29, 31, 33 and 34 of Chapter IV .|
|G.S.R. 84(E), dated 21st February, 1979||01-06-69||in the Union territory of Goa, Daman and Diu Except section 30.|
5. Sub-section (4) ins. by Act 60 of 1973, sec, 2.
6. 1-8-1986 vide G.S.R. 1946(E), dated 15-7-1986 (except section 30) the Act is enforced in the State of Jammu and Kashmir.
7. 1-6-1979, vide G.S.R. 84(E)/1979, (except section 30) the Act is enforced in Goa, Daman and Diu.