Apprentices Act, 1961
29. POWERS OF ENTRY, INSPECTION, ETC. –
(1) Subject to any rules made in this behalf, the 1Central Apprenticeship Adviser or such other person, not below the rank of an Assistant Apprenticeship Adviser, as may be authorised by the Central Apprenticeship Adviser in writing in this behalf may
– (a) with such assistants, if any, as he thinks fit, enter, inspect and examine any establishment or part thereof at any reasonable time;
(b) examine any apprentice employed therein or require the production of any register, record or other documents maintained in pursuance of this Act and take on the spot or otherwise statements of any person which he may consider necessary for carrying out the purposes of this Act;
(c) make such examination and inquiry as he thinks fit in order to ascertain whether the provisions of this Act and the rules made there under are being observed in the establishment;
(d) exercise such other powers as may be prescribed :
Provided that 2a State Apprenticeship Adviser or such other person, not below the rank of an Assistant Apprenticeship Adviser, as may be authorised by the State Apprenticeship Adviser in writing in this behalf may also exercise any of the powers specified in clause (a), (b), (c) or (d) of this sub-section in relation to establishments for which the appropriate Government is the State Government.
(2) Notwithstanding anything in sub-section (1), no person shall be compelled under this section to answer any question or make any statement which may tend directly or indirectly to incriminate him.
1. Subs. by Act 27 of 1973, sec. 21, for “Central Apprenticeship Adviser” (w.e.f. 1-12-1974 ).
2. Subs. by Act 27 of 1973, sec. 21, for “a State Apprenticeship Adviser” (w.e.f. 1-12-1974 ).