Arbitration and Conciliation Act, 1996
1. Short title, extent and commencement.—
(1) This Act may be called the Arbitration and Conciliation Act, 1996.
(2) It extends to the whole of India:
Provided that Parts I, III and IV shall extend to the State of Jammu and Kashmir only in so far as they relate to international commercial arbitration or, as the case may be, international commercial conciliation.
Explanation.—In this sub-section, the expression “international commercial conciliation” shall have the same meaning as the expression “international commercial arbitration” in clause (f) of sub-section (1) of section 2, subject to the modification that for the word “arbitration” occurring therein, the word “conciliation” shall be substituted.
(3) It shall come into force on such date1 as the Central Government may, by notification in the official Gazette, appoint.
1. Came into force on 22-8-1996 vide G.S.R. 375 (E), dated 22nd August, 1996.