1. Short title, extent, commencement and application.—
(1) This Act may be called the Building and Other Construction Workers (Regulation of Employment and Conditions of Service) Act, 1996.
(2) It extends to the whole of India.
(3) It shall be deemed to have come into force on the 1st day of March, 1996.
(4) It applies to every establishment which employs, or had employed on any day of the preceding twelve months, ten or more building workers in any building or other construction work.
Explanation.—For the purposes of this sub-section, the building workers employed in different relays in a day either by the employer or the contractor shall be taken into account in computing the number of building workers employed in the establishment.