The Biological Diversity Act,2002
21. Determination of equitable benefit sharing by National Biodiversity Authority
(1) The National Biodiversity Authority shall while granting approvals under section 19 or section 20 ensure that the terms and conditions subject to which approval is granted secures equitable sharing of benefits arising out of the use of accessed biological resources, their by-products, innovations and practices associated with their use and applications and knowledge relating thereto in accordance with mutually agreed terms and conditions between the person applying for such approval, local bodies concerned and the benefit claimers.
(2) The National Biodiversity Authority shall, subject to any regulations made in this behalf, determine the benefit sharing which shall be given effect in all or any of the following manner, namely:
(a) grant of joint ownership of intellectual property rights to the National Biodiversity Authority, or where benefit claimers are identified, to such benefit claimers;
(b) transfer of technology;
(c) location of production, research and development units in such areas which will facilitate better living standards to the benefit claimers;
(d) association of Indian scientists, benefit claimers and the local people with research and development in biological resources and bio-survey and bio-utilization;
(e) setting up of venture capital fund for aiding the cause of benefit claimers;
(f) payment of monetary compensation and non-monetary benefits to the benefit claimers as the National Biodiversity Authority may deem fit.
(3) Where any amount of money is ordered by way of benefit sharing, the National Biodiversity Authority may direct the amount to be deposited in the National Biodiversity Fund:
Provided that where biological resource or knowledge was a result of access from specific individual or group of individuals or organizations, the National Biodiversity Authority may direct that the amount shall be paid directly to such individual or group of individuals or organizations in accordance with the terms of any agreement and in such manner as it deems fit.
(4) For the purposes of this section, the National Biodiversity Authority shall, in consultation with the Central Government, by regulations, frame guidelines.