The Central Motor Vehicles Rules,1989
Section 118. Speed governor
(1) On and from the commencement1 of this rule, such transport vehicles as may be notified by 2[the State Government] in the Official Gazette shall be fitted by the operator of such transport vehicle with a speed governor (speed controlling device) 3[ conforming to the Standard A IS : 018, as amended from time to time] in such a manner that the speed governor can be sealed with an official seal of the State Transport Authority or a Regional Transport Authority in such a way that it cannot be removed or tampered with without the seal being broken.
(2) The speed governor of every transport vehicle shall be so set that the vehicle is incapable of being driven at a speed in excess of the maximum preset speed of the vehicle except down an incline.
1. Brought into force on 1 st July,1993 vide S.0.427(E), dated 27th June,1991.
2. Substituted by G.S.R 400(E), dated 31-5-2002, for “the Central Government” (we I 31-5-2002).
3. Substituted by G.S.R. 660(E), dated 12-9-2001, for “conforming to the Indian Standards IS: 10144 1981 specified by Bureau of Indian Standards” (w.e.f. 12-9-2001). Earlier these words were substituted by G.S.R. 214(E),dated 18-3-1999 (w.e.f. 18-3-1999) and before that by G.S.R. 933(E), dated 28-10-1989 (w.e.f. 28-10-1989).