The Central Motor Vehicles Rules,1989
Section 132. Responsibility of the transporter or owner of goods carriage
1[Responsibility of the transporter or owner of goods carriage. (1) It shall be the responsibility of the owner of the goods carriage transporting any dangerous or hazardous goods to ensure the following, namely:
(a) that the goods carriage has a valid registration to carry the said goods and the said carriage is safe for the transport of the said goods; and
(b) the vehicle is equipped with necessary first-aid, safety equipment, tool box and antidotes as may be necessary to contain any accident.
(2) Every owner of a goods carriage shall, before undertaking the transportation of dangerous or hazardous goods in his goods carriage, satisfy himself that the information given by the consignor is full and accurate in all respects and correspond to the classification of such goods specified in rule 137.
(3) The owner of a goods carriage shall ensure that the driver of such carriage is given all the relevant information in writing as given in Annexure V of these rules in relation to the dangerous or hazardous goods entrusted to him for transport and satisfy himself that such driver has sufficient understanding of the nature of such goods and the nature of the risks involved in the transport of such goods and is capable of taking appropriate action in case of an emergency.
(4) The owner of the goods carriage carrying dangerous or hazardous goods, and the consignor of such goods shall lay down the route for each trip which the driver shall be bound to take unless directed or pennitted otherwise by the Police Authorities. They shall also fix a time table for each trip to the destination and back with reference to the route so laid down.
(5) It shall be the duty of the owner to ensure that the driver of the goods carriage carrying dangerous or hazardous goods holds a driving licence as per provisions of rule 9 of these rules.
(6) Notwithstanding anything contained in rules 131 and 132, it shall be sufficient compliance of the provisions of these rules if the consignor transporting dangerous or hazardous goods and the owner of the goods carriage or the transporter, abides by these conditions within six months after the date of coming into force of the Central Motor Vehicles (Amendment) Rules,1993.]
1. R. 132 substituted by G.S.R. 338(E), dated 26-3-1993 (w.e.f. 26-3-1993).