1. Short title, extend and commencement –
(1) This Act may be called the Commissions of Inquiry Act, 1952.
1[(2) It extends to the whole of India:
Provided that it shall apply to the State of Jammu and Kashmir only in so far as it relates to inquiries pertaining to matters relatable to any of the entries enumerated in List I or List III in the Seventh Schedule to the Constitution as applicable to that State.]
(3) It shall come into force on such date2 as the Central Government may, by notification in the Official Gazette, appoint.
1. Subs. by Act 79 of 1971, sec. 2, for sub-section (2) (w.e.f. 30-12-1971).
2. Came into force on 1-10-1952, vide S.R.O. 1670, dated the 30th September, 1952, published in the Gazette of India, Extra., Pt. II, Sec. 3, p. 861.
This Act, as amended by Act 79 of 1971, came into force in the State of Jammu and Kashmir on 6-3-1972 and in the districts of Kohima and Mokokchung in the State of Nagaland on 15-2-1972, vide Notification Nos. 94(E), dated 4th March, 1972 and 74(E), dated 14th February, 1972 respectively, issued under section 15 of Act 79 of 1971.