The Companies Act, 1956
146. Registered office of company.
(1) A company shall, as from the day on which it begins to carry on business, or as from the 1[thirtieth] day after the date of its incorporation, whichever is earlier, have a registered office to which all communications are notices may be addressed.
(2) Notice of the situation of the registered office, and of every change therein, shall be given within 2[thirty] days after the date of the incorporation of the company or after the date of the change, as the case may be, to the Registrar who shall record the same:
Provided that except on the authority of a special resolution passed by the company, the registered office of the company shall not be removed
(a)in the case of an existing company, outside the local limits of any city, town or village where such office is situated at the commencement of, this Act, or where it may be situated later by virtue of a special resolution passed by the company; and
(b)in the case of any other company, outside the local limits of any city, town or village where such office is first situated, or where it may be situated later by virtue of a special resolution passed by the company.
(3) The inclusion in the annual return of a company of a statement as to the address of its registered office shall not be taken to satisfy the obligation imposed by sub-section (2).
(4) If default is made in complying with the requirements of this section, the company, and, every officer of the company who is in default, shall be punishable with fine which may extend to 3[five hundred rupees] for every day during which the default continues.
1. Subs. by Act 31 of 1965, sec. 62 and Sch., for “twenty-eighth” (w.e.f. 15-10-1965).
2. Subs. by Act 31 of 1965, sec. 62 and Sch., for “twenty-eight” (w.e.f. 15-10-1965).
3. Subs. by Act 53 of 2000, sec. 56, for “fifty rupees” (w.e.f. 13-12-2000).