Laws and Bare Acts of India at

MyNation Foundation Online Law Library

Section 17 – The Companies Act,1956

The Companies Act, 1956

17. Special resolution and confirmation by Central Government required for alteration of memorandum

1[17. Special resolution and confirmation by Central Government required for alteration of memorandum.

(1) A company may, by special resolution, alter the provisions of its memorandum so as to change the place of its registered office from one State to another, or with respect to the objects of the company so far as may be required to enable it

(a)to carry on its business more economically or more efficiently; or

(b)to attain its main purpose by new or improved means; or

(c)to enlarge or change the local area of its operations; or

(d)to carry on some business which under existing circumstances may conveniently or advantageously be combined with the business of the company; or

(e)to restrict or abandon any of the objects specified in the memorandum; or

(f)to sell or dispose of the whole or any part of the undertaking, or of any of the undertakings, of the company; or

(g)to amalgamate with any other company or body of persons.

(2) The alteration of the provisions of memorandum relating to the change of the place of its registered office from one State to another shall not take effect unless it is confirmed by the Central Government on petition.

(3) Before confirming the alteration, the Central Government must be satisfied

(a)that sufficient notice has been given to every holder of the debentures of the company, and to every other person or class of persons whose interests will, in the opinion of the Central Government be affected by the alteration; and

(b)that, with respect to every creditor who, in the opinion of the Central Government, is entitled to object to the alteration, and who signifies his objection in the manner directed by the Central Government, either his consent to the alteration has been obtained or his debt or claim has been discharged or has been determined, or has been secured:

Provided that the Central Government may, in the case of any person or class of persons, for special reasons, dispense with the notice required by clause (a).

(4) The Central Government shall cause notice of the petition for confirmation of the alteration to be served on the Registrar who shall also be given a reasonable opportunity of appearing before the Central Government and state his objections and suggestions, if any, with respect to the confirmation of the alteration.

(5) The Central Government may make an order confirming the alteration on such terms and conditions, if any, as it thinks fit and may make such order as to costs as it thinks proper.

(6) The Central Government shall, in exercising its powers under this section, have regard to the rights and interests of the members of the company and of every class of them, as well as to the rights and interests of the creditors of the company and of every class of them.

(7) The Central Government may, if it thinks fit, adjourn the proceedings in order that an arrangement may be made to the satisfaction of the Central Government for the purchase of the interests of dissentient members; and may give such directions and make such orders as it thinks fit for facilitating or carrying into effect, any such arrangement:

Provided that no part of the capital of the company may be expended for any such purchase.]


1. Subs. by Act 11 of 2003, sec. 7, for section 17.

Previous | Next

The Companies Act, 1956

Indian Laws – Bare Acts


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Copyright © 2022 Laws and Bare Acts of India at

Free Legal Help, Just WhatsApp Away

MyNation HELP line

We are Not Lawyers, but No Lawyer will give you Advice like We do

Please read Group Rules – CLICK HERE, If You agree then Please Register CLICK HERE and after registration  JOIN WELCOME GROUP HERE

We handle Women Centric biased laws like False Section 498A IPC, Domestic Violence(DV ACT), Divorce, Maintenance, Alimony, Child Custody, HMA 24, 125 CrPc, 307, 312, 313, 323, 354, 376, 377, 406, 420, 497, 506, 509; TEP, RTI and many more…

MyNation FoundationMyNation FoundationMyNation Foundation