The Companies Act, 1956
22. Rectification of name of company.
1[(1) If, through inadvertence or otherwise, a company on its first registration or on its registration by a new name, is registered by a name which,
(i)in the opinion of the Central Government, is identical with, or too nearly resembles, the name by which a company in existence has been previously registered, whether under this Act or any previous companies law, the first-mentioned company, or
(ii)on an application by a registered proprietor of a trade mark, is in the opinion of the Central Government identical with, or too nearly resembles, a registered trade mark of such proprietor under the Trade Marks Act, 1999, such company,]
(a)may, by ordinary resolution and with the previous approval of the Central Government signified in writing, change its name or new name; and
(b)shall, if the Central Government so directs within twelve months of its first registration or registration by its new name, as the case may be, or within twelve months of the commencement of this Act, whichever is later, by ordinary resolution and with the previous approval of the Central Government signified in writing change its name or new name within a period of three months from the date of the direction or such longer period as the Central Government may think fit to allow:
2[Provided that no application under clause (ii) made by a registered proprietor of a trade mark after five years of coming to notice of registration of the company shall be considered by the Central Government.]
(2) If a company makes default in complying with any direction given under clause (b) of sub-section (1), the company, and every officer who is in default, shall be punishable with fine which may extend to 3[one thousand rupees] for every day during which the default continues.
1. Subs. by Act 47 of 1999, sec. 158 and Sch., for certain words (w.e.f. 15-9-2003).
2. Ins. by Act 47 of 1999, sec. 158 and Sch. (w.e.f. 15-9-2003).
3. Subs. by Act 53 of 2000, sec. 8, for “one hundred rupees” (w.e.f. 13-12-2000).