The Companies Act, 1956
424B. Inquiry into working of sick industrial companies.
1[424B. Inquiry into working of sick industrial companies.(1) The Tribunal may make such inquiry as it may deem fit for determining whether any industrial company has become a sick industrial company
(a)upon receipt of a reference with respect to such company under section 424A; or
(b)upon information received with respect to such company or upon its own knowledge as to the financial condition of the company.
(2) The Tribunal may, if it deems necessary or expedient so to do for the expeditious disposal of an inquiry under sub-section (1), require by order any operating agency to enquire into the scheme for revival and make a report with respect to such matters as may be specified in the order.
(3) The operating agency shall complete its inquiry as expeditiously as possible and submit its report to the Tribunal within twenty-one days from the date of such order:
Provided that the Tribunal may extend the said period to forty days for reasons to be recorded in writing for such extension.
(4) The Tribunal shall conclude its enquiry as expeditiously as possible and pass final orders in the proceedings within sixty days from the commencement of the inquiry:
Provided that the Tribunal may extend the said period to ninety days for reasons to be recorded in writing for such extension.
Explanation.For the purposes of this sub-section, an inquiry shall be deemed to have commenced upon the receipt by the Tribunal of any reference or information or upon its own knowledge reduced to writing by the Tribunal.
(5) Where the Tribunal deems it fit to make an enquiry or to cause an inquiry to be made into any industrial company under sub-section (1) or, as the case may be, under sub-section (2), it may appoint one or more persons who possess knowledge, experience and expertise in management and control of the affairs of any other company to be a special director or special directors on the board of such industrial company on such terms and conditions as may be prescribed for safeguarding its financial and other interests or in the public interest.
(6) The special director or special directors appointed under sub-section (5) shall submit a report to the Tribunal within sixty days from the date of appointment of such director or directors about the state of affairs of the company in respect of which reference has been made under sub-section (1) and such special director or directors shall have all the powers of a director of a company under this Act, necessary for discharge of his or their duties.
(7) The Tribunal may issue such directions to a special director appointed under sub-section (5) as it may deem necessary or expedient for proper discharge of his duties.
(8) The appointment of a special director referred to in sub-section (5) shall be valid and effective notwithstanding anything to the contrary contained in any other provision of this Act or in any other law for the time being in force or in the memorandum and articles of association or any other instrument relating to the industrial company, and any provision regarding share qualification, age limit, number of directorships, removal from office of directors and such like conditions contained in any such law or instrument aforesaid, shall not apply to any special director or directors appointed by the Tribunal.
(9) Any special director appointed under sub-section (5), shall
(a)hold office during the pleasure of the Tribunal and may be removed or substituted by any person by order of the Tribunal;
(b)not incur any obligation or liability by reason only of his being a director or for anything done or omitted to be done in good faith in the discharge of his duties as a director or anything in relation thereto;
(c)not be liable to retirement by rotation and shall not be taken into account for computing the number of directors liable to such retirement;
(d)not be liable to be prosecuted under any law for anything done or omitted to be done in good faith in the discharge of his duties in relation to the sick industrial company.]
1. Section 424B ins. by Act 11 of 2003, sec. 47.