The Companies Act, 1956
610. Inspection, production and evidence of documents kept by Registrar.
(1) 2[Save as otherwise provided elsewhere in this Act, any person may]-
(a) inspect any documents kept by the Registrar 3[in accordance with the rules made under the Destruction of Records Act, 1917] being documents filed or registered by him in pursuance of this Act, or making a record of any fact required or authorised to be recorded or registered in pursuance of this Act, on payment for each inspection of 4[such fees as may be prescribed];
(b) require a certificate of the incorporation of any company, or a copy or extract of any other document or any part of any other document to be certified by the Registrar, 5[on payment in advance of 6[such fees as may be prescribed:]
Provided that the rights conferred by this sub-section shall be exercisable-
(i) in relation to documents delivered to the Registrar with a prospectus in pursuance of sub-clause (i) of clause (b) of sub-section (1) of section 60, only during the fourteen days beginning with the date of publication of the prospectus; and at other times, only with the permission of the Central Government; and
(ii) in relation to documents so delivered in pursuance of clause (b) of sub-section (1) of section 605, only during the fourteen days beginning with the date of the prospectus; and at other times, only with the permission of the Central Government.1
(2) No process for compelling the production of any document kept by the Registrar shall issue from any Court 7[or the 9[Tribunal]] except with the leave of that Court 7[or the 9[Tribunal]] and any such process, if issued, shall bear thereon a statement that it is issued with the leave of the Court 7[or the 9[Tribunal]].
(3) A copy of, or extract from, any document kept and registered at any of the officers for the registration of companies under this Act, certified to be a true copy under the hand of the Registrar (whose official position it shall not be necessary to prove), shall, in all legal proceedings, be admissible in evidence as of equal validity with the original document. 8[***]
1 Omitted by Act No. 17 of 1969, w.e.f. 3rd. April, 1970.
2 Substituted by Act No. 65 of 1960, for the words “Any person may”.
3 Inserted by Act No. 65 of 1960.
4 Substituted by the Companies (Amendment) Act, 1988, w.e.f. 15th. July, 1988 for the words “a fee of one rupee”.
5 Substituted by Act No. 65 of 1960.
6 Substituted by Act No. 65 of 1960.
7 Inserted by the Companies (Amendment) Act, 1988, w.e.f. 31st. May, 1991.
8 Sub-section (4) omitted by Act No. 65 of 1960.
9. Substituted for “Company Law Board”, the words by the Companies (Second Amendment) Act, 2002, w.e.f. 13th January, 2003.