17. COMMITTEES OF THE COUNCIL
(1) The Council shall constitute from amongst its members of the following Standing Committees, namely:—
(a) an Executive Committee;
1[(b) a Finance Committee; and]
(c) an Examination Committee.
(2) The Council may also constitute a Training and Educational Facilities Committee, Professional Research and Publications Committee and such other Committees from amongst its members as it deems necessary for the purpose of carrying out the provisions of this Act.
2[(3) Each of the Standing Committees shall consist of the President and the Vice-President ex officio, and minimum of three and maximum of five members to be elected by the Council from amongst its members.]
(6) Notwithstanding anything contained in this section, any Committee formed under sub-section (2) may, with the sanction of the Council, co-opt such other members of the Institute not exceeding 4[one-thirds of the total membership of the Committee] as the Committee thinks fit, and any member so co-opted shall be entitled to exercise all the rights of a member of the Committee.
(7) Every Committee constituted under this section shall elect its own Chairman:
(i) where the President is a member of such Committee, he shall be the Chairman of such Committee, and in his absence, the Vice-President, if he is a member of such Committee, shall be its Chairman; and
(ii) where the President is not a member of such Committee, but the Vice-President is a member, he shall be its Chairman.
(8) The Standing Committees and other Committees formed under this section shall exercise such functions and be subject to such conditions in the exercise thereof as may be prescribed.
1. Subs. by Act 8 of 2006, sec. 15, for clause (b) (w.e.f. 17-11-2006). Clause (b), before substitution, stood as under:
“(b) a Disciplinary Committee; and”
2. Subs. by Act 8 of 2006, sec. 15, for sub-section (3) (w.e.f. 17-11-2006). Sub-section (3), before substitution, stood as under:
“(3) The Executive Committee shall consist of the President, and the Vice-President, ex officio, and three other members of the Council elected by the Council.”
3. Sub-sections (4) and (5) omitted by Act 8 of 2006, sec. 15 (w.e.f. 17-11-2006). Sub-sections (4) and (5), before omission, stood as under:
“(4) The Disciplinary Committee shall consist of the President, ex-officio, one member to be nominated by the Central Government from amongst the members nominated to the Council by that Government and one member to be elected by the Council.
(5) The Examination Committee shall consist of the President or the Vice-President, ex-officio, as the Council may decide, and two other members of the Council elected by the Council.”
4. Sub. by Act 8 of 2006, sec. 15, for “two thirds of the total membership of the Committee” (w.e.f. 17-11-2006).