1. SHORT TITLE, EXTENT, COMMENCEMENT AND APPLICATION.
(1) This Act may be called the Consumer Protection Act, 1986.
(2) It extends to the whole of India except the State of Jammu and Kashmir.
(3) It shall come into force on such date 1 as the Central Government may, by notification appoint and different dates may be appointed for different States and for different provisions of this Act.
(4) Save as otherwise expressly provided by the Central Government by notification, this Act shall apply to all goods and services.
1. The provisions of Chapters I, II and IV of this Act have come into force in the whole of India except the State of Jummu and Kashmir on 15-4-1987 : vide Notification No. S.O. 390 (E), dated 15th April, 1987, published in the Gazette of India, 1987, Extra., Pt. II, Sec. (ii).
The Provisions of Chapter III of this Act havecome into force in the whole of India except the State of Jammu and Kashmir on 1-7-1987: vide Notification, No. S.O. 568 (E), dated 10th June, 1987, published in the Gazette of India, 1987, Extra., Pt. II, Sec. 3 (ii).