11. Jurisdiction of the district forum.
(1) Subject to other provisions of this Act, the District Forum shall have jurisdiction to entertain complaints where the value of the goods or services and the Compensation if any, claimed 1[does not exceed rupees twenty lakhs].
(2) A complaint shall be instituted in a District Forum within the local limits of whose jurisdiction, –
(a) The opposite party or each of the opposite parties, where there are more than one, at the time of the institution of the complaint, actually and voluntarily resides or 2[carries on business or has a branch office, or] personally works for gain; or
(b) Any of the opposite parties where there are more then one, at the time of the institution of the complaint, actually and voluntarily resides, or 2[carries on business or has a branch office], or personally works for gain, provided that in such case either the permission of the District Forum is given, or the opposite parties who do not reside, or 2[carry on business or have a branch office], or personally works for gain, as the case may be, acquiesce in such institution; or
(c) The cause of action, wholly or in part arises.
1. Substituted by Act 50 of 1993, sec.9 for “is less than rupees one lakh”(w. e. f. 18-6-1993) and again subs. by Act 62 of 2002, sec. 7, for “does not exceed rupees five lakhs” (w. e. f. 15-3-2003)
2. Subs. by Act 50 of 1993, sec.9 for “carries on business or” (w. r. e. f. 18-6-1993).