33. Registration of copyright society-
(1) No person or association of persons shall, after coming into force of the Copyright (Amendment) Act, 1994 commence or, carry on the business of issuing or granting licences in respect of any work in which copyright subsists or in respect of any other rights conferred by this Act except under or in accordance with the registration granted under sub section (3):
Provided that an owner of copyright shall, in this individual capacity, continue to have the right to grant licences in respect of his own works consistent with his obligations as a member of the registered copyright society.
Provided further that a performing rights society functioning in accordance with the provisions of Section 33 on the date immediately before the coming into force of the Copyright (Amendment) Act, 1994 shall be deemed to be a copyright society for the purposes of this Chapter and every such society shall get itself registered within a period one year from the date of commencement of the Copyright (Amendment) Act, 1994.
(2) Any association of persons which fulfils such conditions as may be prescribed may apply for permission to do the business specified in sub section (1) to the Registrar of Copyrights who shall submit the application to the Central Government.
(3) The Central Government may, having regard to the interest of the authors and other owner of rights under this Act, the interest and convenience of the public and in particular of the groups of persons who are most likely to seek licences in applicants, register such association of persons as a copyright society to such conditions as may be prescribed.
Provided that the Central Government shall not ordinarily register more than one copyright society to do business in respect of the same class of works.
(4) The Central Government may, if it is satisfied that a copyright society is being managed in a manner detrimental to the interest of the owners of rights concerned, cancel the registration of such society after such inquiry as may be prescribed.
(5) If the Central Government is of the opinion that in the interest of the owners of rights concerned, it is necessary so to do, it may, by order, suspend the registration of such society pending inquiry for such period not exceeding one year as may be specified in such order under sub section (4) and that Government shall appoint and administrator to discharge the functions of the copyright society.
* Chapter VII (containing sections 33, 34, 34A, 35, 36 and 36A) subs. by Act 38 of 1994, sec. 11, for Chapter VII (containing sections 33 to 36) (w.e.f. 10-5-1995).