The Customs Act, 1962
46. ENTRY OF GOODS ON IMPORTATION. –
(1) The importer of any goods, other than goods intended for transit or transshipment, shall make entry thereof by presenting to the proper officer a bill of entry for home consumption or warehousing in the prescribed form :
Provided that if the importer makes and subscribes to a declaration before the proper officer, to the effect that he is unable for want of full information to furnish all the particulars of the goods required under this sub-section, the proper officer may, pending the production of such information, permit him, previous to the entry thereof
(a) to examine the goods in the presence of an officer of customs, or
(b) to deposit the goods in a public warehouse appointed under section 57 without warehousing the same.
(2) Save as otherwise permitted by the proper officer, a bill of entry shall include all the goods mentioned in the bill of lading or other receipt given by the carrier to the consignor.
(3) A bill of entry under sub-section (1) may be presented at any time after the delivery of the import manifest or import report as the case may be :
Provided that the 1Commissioner of Customs may in any special circumstances permit a bill of entry to be presented before the delivery of 2such report :
3Provided further that a bill of entry may be presented even before the delivery of such manifest if the vessel or the aircraft by which the goods have been shipped for importation into India is expected to arrive within thirty days from the date of such presentation.
(4) The importer while presenting a bill of entry shall at the foot thereof make and subscribe to a declaration as to the truth of the contents of such bill of entry and shall, in support of such declaration, produce to the proper officer the invoice, if any, relating to the imported goods.
(5) If the proper officer is satisfied that the interests of revenue are not prejudicially affected and that there was no fraudulent intention, he may permit substitution of a bill of entry for home consumption for a bill of entry for warehousing or vice versa.
1. Subs. by Act 22 of 1995, sec. 50, for “Collector of Customs” (w.e.f. 26-5-1995).
2. Subs. by Act 25 of 1978, sec. 8, for “such manifest or report” (w.e.f. 11-7-1978).
3. Subs. by Act 33 of 1996, sec. 63, for the second proviso (w.e.f. 28-9-1996).