151. Membership of Gaon Sabha and constitution of Gaon Panchayat . –
All persons registered by virtue of the provisions of the Constitution and the Representation of the People Act, 1950, as voters in so much of the electoral roll for any parliamentary constituency for the time being in force as relates to a Gaon Sabha Area shall be the members of the Gaon Sabha for that area.
Explanation – In this section, the expression “Parliamentary constituency” has the meaning assigned to it under the Representation of the People Act,1950.
(2) Every Gaon Sabha shall have an executive body to be known as the Gaon Panchayat.
(3) A Gaon Panchayat shall consist of a Pradhan and such number of panches, not less than four and not more than ten, as the Chief Commissioner may fix from time to time in this behalf.
(4) The Pradhan and the panches shall be elected by the members of the Gaon Sabha from among themselves.
(5) The Chief Commissioner shall, by order in the Official Gazette, determine the number of seats, if any, reserved for women and the Scheduled Castes in each Gaon Panchayat :
Provided that the number of seats so reserved for the Scheduled Castes shall bear as nearly as may be the same proportion to the total number of seats in the Gaon Panchayat as the population of the Scheduled Castes in the area of the Gaon Sabha bears to the total population of such area.