74. Admission to land mentioned in sub- clause (iii) of clause (a) of section 6 or to waste land for reclamation. –
(1) The Gaon Sabha shall have the right to admit any person as Asami to any land falling in any of the classes mentioned in sub- clause (iii) of clause (a) of section 6 where –
(a) The land is vacant land,
(b) The land is vested in the Gaon Sabha , or
(c) The land has come into the possession of the Gaon Sabha under section 72 or under any other provision of this Act.
(2) In order to encourage the reclamation of waste land, the Gaon Sabha shall also have the right to admit any person as Asami on a five years lease to any land which forms part of the cultivable or uncultivable waste area of the village, not included in holdings, which are vested in the Gaon Sabha under section 7, but which do not fall in any of the classes mentioned in sub-clause (iii) if clause (a) of section 6.
(3) The Asami shall have the right to hold the land for the period of five years at a rate of rent, which shall not be more than 50 per cent. Of the prevailing rate of rent of the village, payable for the land.
(4) At the end of five years, the Gaon Sabha shall report to the Revenue Assistant the extent to which reclamation has been made. The Revenue Assistant shall, after necessary enquiry and after hearing the Asami , either order the termination of the lease and his ejectment if there has been no reclamation or extend his lease for another period of two years. If, however, the land has been duly reclaimed during the period of five years or the extended period, the Revenue Assistant shall direct the Gaon Sabha to admit the Asami as Bhumidhar under section 73. The Asami on his admission as Bhumidhar shall be liable to pay such land revenue as shall be equal to 50 percent of the rent calculated at the prevailing village rate of rent together with cesses and local rates, but he shall not be liable to pay any compensation.