15. Receipt to be given for rent paid.-
(1) Every tenant shall pry rent and other charges payable within the time fixed by contract or in the absence of such stipulation, by the fifteenth day of the month next following the month for which it is payable and where any default occurs in the payment of rent or other charges, the tenant shall be liable to pay simple interest at the rate of fifteen per cent per annum from the date on which such payment of rent and other charges payable is due to the date on which it is paid.
(2) Every tenant who makes payment of rent or other charges payable or advance towards such rent or other charges to his landlord shall be entitled, against acknowledgement, to obtain forthwith from the landlord or his authorized agent a written receipt for the amount paid to him, signed by the landlord or his authorized agent.
Provided that it shall be open to the tenant to remit the rent to his landlord by postal money order.
(3) If the landlord or his authorized agent refuses or neglects to deliver to the tenants the receipt referred to in sub section (2), the Rent Authority may, on an application made to him in this behalf by the tenant within two months from the date of payment and after hearing the landlord or his authorized agent, by order direct the landlord or his authorisd agent to pay to the tenant, by way of damages, such sum not exceeding double the amount of rent or other charges paid by the tenant and the costs of the application and shall also grant a certificate to the tenant in respect of the rent or other charges paid.
(4) If the landlord or his authorised agent refuses to accept or evades acceptance or receipt of rent and other charges payable to him. The tenant may, by notice in writing, ask the landlord to supply him the particulars of his bank account in a bank located in the National Capital Territory of Delhi into which the tenant nay deposit the rent and other charges payable to the credit of the landlord.
(5) If the landlord supplies the particulars of his bank account, the tenant shall deposit the rent and other charges payable in such bank account from time.
(6) If the landlord does not supply the particulars of bank account under sub section (4), the tenant shall remit the rent and the other charges payable to the landlord from time to time though postal money order after deducting the postal charges.