6. The Central Drugs Laboratory. –
(1) The Central Government shall, as soon as may be, establish a Central Drugs Laboratory under the control of a Director to be appointed by the Central Government, to carry out the functions entrusted to it by this Act or any rules made under this Chapter :
Provided that, if the Central Government so prescribes, the functions of the Central Drugs Laboratory in respect of any drug or class of drugs 1[or cosmetic or class of cosmetics] shall be carried out at the Central Research Institute, Kasauli, or at any other prescribed Laboratory and the functions of the Director of the Central Drugs Laboratory in respect of such drug or class of drugs 1[or such cosmetic or class of cosmetics] shall be exercised by the Director of that Institute or of that other Laboratory, as the case may be.
(2) The Central Government may, after consultation with the Board, make rules prescribing—
(a) the functions of the Central Drugs Laboratory;
(d) the procedure for the submission of the said Laboratory 3[under Chapter IV or Chapter IVA] of samples of drugs 2[or cosmetics] for analysis or test, the forms of the Laboratory’s reports thereon and the fees payable in respect of such reports;
(e) such other matters as may be necessary or expedient to enable the said Laboratory to carry out its functions;
(f) the matters necessary to be prescribed for the purposes of the proviso to sub-section (1).
1. Ins. by Act 21 of 1962, sec. 5 (w.e.f. 27-7-1964).
2. Clauses (b) and (c) omitted by Act 11 of 1955, sec. 4 (w.e.f. 15-4-1955).
3. Subs. by Act 13 of 1964, sec. 5, for “under Chapter IV” (w.e.f. 15-9-964).