20. Power to call for returns and inspect accounts.
(1) The nominated authority or any officer authorised by the nominated authority in this behalf may call for such returns, as may be prescribed, from any employer to whom this Act applies.
(2) The books of account and other books and papers of any employer to whom this Act applies shall be open to inspection by the nominated authority or any person authorised by the Central Government in this behalf during business hours:
Provided that such inspection may be made without giving any previous notice to the employer or any officer of the employer.
(3) The nominated authority or any authorised officer may, during the course of inspection,-
(i) Make, or cause to be made, copies of the books of account and other books and papers;
(ii) Place, or cause to be placed, any marks of identification thereon in token of the inspection having been made.
(4) If after inspection the nominated authority or the authorized officer finds that any additional wages or additional dearness allowance has not been credited by the employer to the appropriate Deposit Account or, as the case may be, remitted to the nominated authority, it or he shall determine the amount in respect of which such credit or remittance has not been made:
Provided that no such determination shall be made except after giving to the employer a reasonable opportunity of being heard.
(5) It shall be the duty of every employer to whom this Act applies, to furnish to the nominated authority a copy of the award, decree or order of any court, tribunal or other authority or agreement or settlement relating to wage revision or revision of dearness allowance and also to produce such books of account and other books and papers as the nominated authority or the officer making the inspection may require.
(6) Where any revision of wages or dearness allowance is made otherwise than in pursuance of any award, decree or order of any court, tribunal or other authority or agreement or settlement, the employer shall give an intimation to the nominated authority about such revision of wages or dearness allowance and furnish to the nominated authority such books of account and other books and papers as that authority may require.