1. SHORT TITLE, EXTENT AND COMMENCEMENT. –
(1) This Act may be called the Employment Exchanges (Compulsory Notification of Vacancies) Act, 1959.
(2) It extends to the whole of India.1[***].
(3) It shall come into force in a State on such date as the Central Government may, by notification in the Official Gazette, appoint in this behalf for such State and different dates may be appointed for different States or for different areas of a State.
1. The words “except the State of Jammu and Kashmir” omitted by Act 51 of 1970, sec. 2 and Sch. (w.e.f. 1-9-1971).
2. Came into force on 1-5-1960 in all the States and the Union territories of Delhi, Himachal Pradesh, Manipur and Tripura, see G.S.R. 382, dated Ist April, 1960, Gazette of India, Extra., Pt. II, Sec. 3(i), p. 145 and in the Union territories of Andaman and Nicobar Islands and Lakshadweep on 1-7-1978, vide G.S.R. 803, dated 17th May, 1978. Extended to the State of Sikkim, vide S.O. 1103(E), dated 5th August, 2005, subject to modifications—
“(i) any reference in the said Act to a law not in force or to a functionary not in existence in the State of Sikkim shall be construed as a reference to the corresponding law in force, or to the corresponding functionary in existence, in that State:
Provided that if any question arises as to who such corresponding functionary is, or if there is no such corresponding functionary, the Central Government shall decide as to who such functionary shall be and the decision of the Central Government in that regard shall be final;
(ii) the provisions of the said Act shall come into force in the State of Sikkim on such date as the Central Government may, by notification in the Official Gazette, appoint:
Provided that different dates may be appointed for different provisions of the said Act and for different areas in the State of Sikkim and any reference in any such provision to the commencement of the Act shall be construed as a reference to the coming into force of that provision in the area where it has been brought into force.”