11. CLEANLINESS. –
(1) Every factory shall be kept clean and free from effluvia arising from any drain, privy or other, nuisance, and in particular –
(a) accumulations of dirt and refuse shall be removed daily by sweeping or by any other effective method from the floors and benches of workrooms and from staircases and passages, and disposed of in a suitable manner;
(b) the floor of every workroom shall be cleaned at least once in every week by washing, using disinfectant, where necessary, or by some other effective method;
(c) where a floor is liable to become wet in the course of any manufacturing process to such extent as is capable of being drained, effective means of drainage shall be provided and maintained;
(d) all inside walls and partitions, all ceilings or tops of rooms and all walls, sides and tops of passages and staircases shall—
(i) where they are 1[painted otherwise than with washable water-paint] or varnished, be re-painted or re-varnished at least once in every period of five years;
2[(ia) where they are painted with washable water-paint, be re-painted with at least one coat of such paint at least once in every period of three years and washed at least once in every period of six months;]
(ii) where they are painted or varnished or where they have smooth impervious surfaces be cleaned at least once in every period of fourteen months by such method as may be prescribed;
(iii) in any other case, be kept white washed or colourwashed, and the white-washing or colourwashing shall be carried out at least once in every period of fourteen months;
2[(dd) all doors and window frames and other wooden or metallic framework and shutters shall be kept painted or varnished and the painting or varnishing shall be carried out at least once in every period of five years;]
(e) the dates on which the processes required by clause (d) are carried out shall be entered in the prescribed register.
(2) If, in view of the nature of the operations carried on 3[in a factory or class or description of factories or any part of a factory or class or description of factories], it is not possible for the occupier to comply with all or any of the provisions of sub-section (1), the State Government may by order exempt such factory or class or description of factories 2[or part] from any of the provisions of that sub-section and specify alternative methods for keeping the factory in a clean state.
1. Subs. by Act 94 of 1976, sec. 8, for “painted” (w.e.f. 26-10-1976).
2. Ins. by Act 94 of 1976, sec. 8 (w.e.f. 26-10-1976).
3. Subs. by Act 94 of 1976, sec. 8, for “in a factory” (w.e.f. 26-10-1976).