38. PRECAUTIONS IN CASE OF FIRE. –
138. PRECAUTIONS IN CASE OF FIRE. (1) In every factory, all practicable measures shall be taken to prevent outbreak of fire and its spread, both internally and externally, and to provide and maintain – (a) safe means of escape for all persons in the event of a fire, and (b) the necessary equipment and facilities for extinguishing fire.
(2) Effective measures shall be taken to ensure that in every factory all the workers are familiar with the means of escape in case of fire and have been adequately trained in the routine to be followed in such cases.
(3) The State Government may make rules, in respect of any factory or class or description of factories, requiring the measures to be adopted to give effect to the provisions of sub-sections (1) and (2).
(4) Notwithstanding anything contained in clause (a) of sub-section (1) or sub-section (2), if the Chief Inspector, having regard to the nature of the work carried on in any factory, the construction of such factory, special risk to life or safety, or any other circumstances, is of the opinion that the measures provided in the factory, whether as prescribed or not, for the purposes of clause (a) of sub-section (1) or sub-section (2), are inadequate, he may, by, order in writing, require that such additional measures as he may consider reasonable and necessary, be provided in the factory before such date as is specified in the order
1. Subs. by Act 20 of 1987, sec. 19, for section 38 (w.e.f. 1-12-1987).