14B. SELF-ASSESSMENT. –
1SELF-ASSESSMENT. (1) Where any tax is payable on the basis of any return furnished under section 13 or under section 14 or in response to a notice under clause (i) of sub-section (4) of section 15 or under section 16, after taking into account the amount of tax, if any, already paid under any provision of this Act, the assessee shall be liable to pay such tax, together with interest payable under any provision of this Act for any delay in furnishing the return, before furnishing the return and the return shall be accompanied by proof of payment of such tax and interest.
Explanation : Where the amount paid by the assessee under this sub-section falls short of the aggregate of the tax and interest as aforesaid, the amount so paid shall first be adjusted towards the interest payable as aforesaid and the balance, if any, shall be adjusted towards the tax payable.
(2) After the regular assessment under section 15 has been made, any amount paid under sub-section (1) shall be deemed to have been paid towards such regular assessment.
(3) If any assessee fails to pay the whole or any part of such tax or interest or both in accordance with the provisions of sub-section (1), he shall, without prejudice to any other consequences which he may incur, be deemed to be an assessee in default in respect of the tax or interest or both remaining unpaid and all the provisions of this Act shall apply accordingly.
(4) The provisions of this section shall apply in respect of assessment for the assessment year commencing on the 1st day of April, 1989 and subsequent assessment years.
2[(4)The provisions of this section shall apply in respect of assessment for the assessment year commencing on the 1st day of April, 1989, and subsequent assessment years.]
1. Ins. by Act 4 of 1988, sec. 169 (w.e.f. 1-4-1989).
2. Ins. by Act 36 of 1989, sec. 31 (w.e.f. 1-4-1989).