40. SERVICE OF NOTICE. –
(1) A notice or a requisition under this Act may be served on the person therein named either by post or as if it were a summons issued by a court under the Code of Civil Procedure, 1908 (5 of 1908).
(2) Any such notice or requisition may, in the case of a firm or a Hindu undivided family, be addressed to any member of the firm or to the manager or any adult male member of the family, and in the case of a company or association of persons be addressed to the principal officer thereof.
1[(3) After a finding of total partition has been recorded by the 2[Assessing Officer] under section 20 in respect of any Hindu family, notices under this Act in respect of the gifts made by the family shall be served on the person who was the last manager of the Hindu family, or if such person is dead, then on all surviving adults who were members of the Hindu family immediately before the partition.
(4) Where a firm or other association of persons is dissolved, notice under this Act in respect of the gifts made by the firm or association may be served on any person who was a partner (not being a minor) or member of the association, as the case may be, immediately before its dissolution.
1. Ins. by Act 53 of 1962, sec. 31 (w.e.f. 1-4-1963).
2. Subs. by Act 4 of 1988, sec. 161, for “Gift Tax Officer” (w.e.f. 1-4-1988).