1. Short title, extent and commencement. –
(1) This Act may be called the Hire-Purchase Act, 1972.
(2) It extends to the whole of India except the State of Jammu and Kashmir1
(3) It shall come into force on such date2 as the Central Government may, by notification in the Official Gazette, appoint.
1. The Act has not been extended to the State of Sikkim.
2. This Act was to come into force on 1st June, 1973, vide GSR 222 (E), dated 30th April, 1973, but this notification was rescinded by GSR 288 (E) dated 31st May, 1973 and the Act was made effective from 1-9-1973 but this notification was also rescinded by GSR 402 (E) dated 30th August, 1973. This Act has not come into force as yet