The International Airports Authority Act 1971
16. Functions of the Authority
(1) Subject to the rules, if any, made by the Central Government in this behalf, it shall be the function of the Authority to manage the airports efficiently.
(2) It shall be the duty of the Authority to provide at the airports such services and facilities as are necessary or desirable for the efficient operation of air transport services there at :
Provided that the function of providing air navigation services at the airports shall continue to be discharged by the Central Government until such date as that Government may, by order, determine.
(3) Without prejudice to the generality of the provisions contained in sub-section (1) and (2), the Authority may
(a) plan, develop, construct and maintain runways, taxiways, aprons and terminal and ancillary buildings at the airports;
(b) construct residential buildings and create townships for its employees;
(c) establish and maintain hotels, restaurants and rest rooms at or near the airports;
(d) establish warehouses at the airports for the storage or processing of goods;
(e) arrange for postal, money exchange, insurance and telephone facilities for the use of passengers and other persons at the airports;
(f) make appropriate arrangements for watch and ward at the airports;
(g) regulate and control the plying of vehicles, and the entry and exit of passengers and visitors, in the airports with due regard to the protocol functions of the Government of India;
(h) develop and provide consultancy services in India and abroad in relation to planning and development of airports or any facilities thereat;
(i) establish and manage heliports and airstrips;
(j) provide such transport facilities as are, in the opinion of the Authority, necessary to the passengers travelling air;
(k) from one or more companies under the Companies Act,1956 (1 of 1956) or under any other law relating to companies to further the efficient discharge of thefunctions imposed on it by this Act; and
(l) take all such steps as may be necessary or convenient for, or may be incidental to the exercise of any power or the discharge of any function conferred or imposed on it by this Act.
(4) In the discharge of its functions under this section, the Authority shall have due regard to the development of air transport service and to the efficiency, economy and safety of such service.
(5) Nothing contained in this section shall be construed as
(a) imposing an obligation on the Authority to discharge any function or duty under this section with respect to any airport in relation to which a notification has not been issued under sub-section (1) of section 12;
(b) authorising the disregard by the Authority of any law for the time being in force; or
(c) authorising any person to institute any proceeding in respect of a duty or liability to which the Authority or its officers or other employees would not otherwisebe subject.