The International Airports Authority Act 1971
33. Power of Central Government to temporarily divest the Authority of the management of any airport
(1) If at any time the Central Government is of opinion that in the public interest it is necessary or expedient so to do, it may, by order, direct the Authority to entrust the management of any airport with effect from such date and to such persons as may be specified in the order and the Authority shall be bound to comply with such direction :
Provided that before an order is made under this sub-section the Authority shall be given a reasonable opportunity of being heard in the matter.
(2) Where the management of any airport is entrusted to any person specified under subsection (1) (hereafter in this section referred to as the authorised person), the Authority shall cease to exercise and discharge all its powers and functions under this Act in relation to such airport and such powers and functions shall be exercised and discharged by the authorised person in accordance with the instructions, if any, which the Central Government may give to the authorised person from time to time:
Provided that no such power or function as may be specified by the Central Government by general or special order shall be exercised or discharged by the authorised person except with the previous sanction of the Central Government.
(3) An order made under sub-section (1) shall, unless rescinded, be in operation for a period of six months from the date on which the management of the airport is entrusted to the authorised person :
Provided that the Central Government may extend such period for a further period not exceeding eighteen months.
(4) During the operation of an order made under sub-section (1), it shall be competent for the Central Government to issue, from time to time, such directions to the Authority as are necessary to enable the authorised person to exercise the powers and discharge the functions of the Authority under this Act in relation to the airport, the management of which has been entrusted to him and in particular to transfer any sum of money from the fund of the Authority to the authorised person for the management of the airport of the airport and every such direction shall be complied with by the Authority.
(5) On the cessor of operation of any order made under sub-section (1) in relation to any airport, the authorised person shall cease to exercise and perform the powers and functions of the Authority under this Act in relation to such airport and the Authority shall continue to exercise and perform such powers and functions in accordance with the previsions of this Act.
(6) On the cesser of operation of any order made under sub-section (1) in relation to any airport, the authorised person shall hand over to the Authority any property (including any sum of money or other asset) remaining with him in connection with the management of such airport.
(7) Anything done or any action taken lawfully by the authorised person in relation to any airport during the period of operation of an order made under sub-section (1) shall be deemed to have been done or taken by the Authority and shall be binding on the Authority.