1. Short title, extent and application
(1) This act may be called the Industrial Employment (Standing Orders) Act, 1946.
(2) It extends to 1[the whole of India 2[***].
3[(3) It applies to every industrial establishment wherein one hundred or more workmen are employed, or were employed on any day of the preceding twelve months :
Provided that the appropriate Government may, after giving not less than two month’s notice of its intention so to do, by notification in the official Gazette, apply the provision of this Act to any industrial establishment employing such number of persons less than one hundred as may be specified in the notification.]
4[* * * *]
5[(4) Nothing in this Act shall apply to.
(i) Any industry to which the provisions of Chapter VII of the Bombay Industrial Relations Act, 1946 (Bombay Act II of 1947) apply; or
(ii) Any Industrial establishment to which the provisions of the Madhya Pradesh Industrial Employment (Standing Orders) Act, 1961 (Madhya Pradesh Act 26 of 1961 apply:
Provided that notwithstanding anything contained in the Madhya Pradesh Industrial Employment (Standing Orders) Act, 1961 (Madhya Pradesh Act, 26 of 1961), the provision of this Act shall apply to all industrial establishments under the control of the Central Government.]
In sec. 1, in its application to the State of Karnataka, for the words “one hundred” occurring in sub-section (3) and in the proviso to it, the word “fifty” shall be substituted. Karnataka Act 37 of 1975 (11th July, 1977).
In sub-section (3), for the words “one hundred”, substitute: fifty”. Bombay Act XXI of 1958, Sec. 4 (15th January, 1959), and Act XI of 1960, Sec, 87 (1st May, 1960).
1. Subs. by the A.O. 1950, for “all the provinces of India”.
2. The words “except the state of Jammu and Kashmir” omitted Act 51 of 1970, sec. 2 and Schedule (w.e.f. 1st September , 1971).
3. Subs. by Act 16 of 1961, sec. 2 for sub section (3).
4. Second proviso omitted by Act 39 of 1963, Sec. 2 (w.e.f. 23rd December, 1963).
5. Ins. by Sec. 2 ibid.( w.e.f. 23rd December , 1963 ).