Laws and Bare Acts of India at

MyNation Foundation Online Law Library

Section 73 – The Indian Trusts Act, 1882

The Indian Trusts Act, 1882


73. Appointment of new trustees on death, etc


Whenever any person appointed a trustee disclaims, or any trustee, either original or substituted, dies, or is for a continuous period of six months absent from India, or leaves India for the purpose of residing abroad, or is declared an insolvent, or desires to be discharged from the trust, or refuses or becomes, in the opinion of a principal Civil Court of original jurisdiction, unfit or personally incapable to act in the trust, or accepts an inconsistent trust, a new trustee may be appointed in his place by:


(a) The person nominated for that purpose by the instrument or trust (if any), or


(b) If there be no such person, or no such person able wid willing to act, the author of the trust if he be alive and competent to contract, or the surviving or continuing trustees or trustee for the time being, or legd representative of the last surviving and continuing trustee, or (with the consent of the Court) the retiring trustees, if they all retire simultaneously, or (with the like consent) the last retiring trustee.


Every such appointment shall be by writing under the hand of the person making it.


On an appointment of a new trustee the number of trustees may be increased. The Official Trustee may, with his consent and by die order of the Court, be appointed under this section, in any case, in which only one trustee is to be appointed and such trustee is to be the sole trustee.


The provisions of this section relative to a trustee who is dead include the case of person nominated trustee in a will but dying before the testator, and those relative to continuing trustee include a refusing or retiring trustee if willing to act in the execution of the power.



Previous | Next


The Indian Trusts Act, 1882


Indian Laws – Bare Acts


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Copyright © 2022 Laws and Bare Acts of India at

Free Legal Help, Just WhatsApp Away

MyNation HELP line

We are Not Lawyers, but No Lawyer will give you Advice like We do

Please read Group Rules – CLICK HERE, If You agree then Please Register CLICK HERE and after registration  JOIN WELCOME GROUP HERE

We handle Women Centric biased laws like False Section 498A IPC, Domestic Violence(DV ACT), Divorce, Maintenance, Alimony, Child Custody, HMA 24, 125 CrPc, 307, 312, 313, 323, 354, 376, 377, 406, 420, 497, 506, 509; TEP, RTI and many more…

MyNation FoundationMyNation FoundationMyNation Foundation