7. Labour Courts
1[7. Labour Courts. (1) The appropriate Government may, by notification in the Official Gazette, constitute one or more Labour Courts for the adjudication of industrial disputes relating to any matter specified in the Second Schedule and for performing such other functions as may be assigned to then-, under this Act.
(2) A Labour Court shall consist of one person only to be appointed by the appropriate Government.
(3) A person shall not be qualified for appointment as the presiding officer of a Labour Court, unless.
2[(a) He is, or has been, a Judge of a High Court; or
(b) He has, for a period of not less than three years, been a District judge or an Additional District Judge; or
3[ * * * * *]
4[(d)] He has held any judicial office in India for not less than seven years; or
4[(e)] He has been the presiding officer of a Labour Court constituted under any provincial Act or State Act for not less than five years.
1. Subs. by Act 36 of 1956, sec. 4, for section 7 (w.e.f. 10-3-1957).
2. Ins. by Act 36 of 1964, sec. 3 (w.e.f. 19-12-1964).
3. Clause (c) omitted by Act 46 of 1982, sec. 3 (w.e.f. 21-8-1984).
4. Clauses (a) and (b) relettered as (d) and (e) respectively by Act 36 of 1964, sec. 3 (w.e.f. 19-12-1964).