Indian Penal Code (IPC)
Section 124. Assaulting President, Governor, etc., with intent to compel or restrain the exercise of any lawful power
Whoever, with the intention of including or compelling the 1[President] of India, or the 2[Governor 3[* * *]] or any 4[State], 5[* * *] 6[* * * ] 7[* * *] to exercise or refrain from exercising in any manner any of the lawful powers of such 8[President] or 2[Governor 3[* * *]],
Assault or wrongfully restrains, or attempts wrongfully to restrain, or overawes, by means of criminal force or the show of criminal force, or attempts so to overawe, such 8[President or 2[Governor 3[* * *]],
Shall be punished with imprisonment of either description for a term which may extend to seven years, and shall also be liable to fine.
CLASSIFICATION OF OFFENCE
Punishment—Imprisonment for 7 years and fine—Cognizable—Non-bailable—Triable by Court of Session—Non-compoundable.
1. Subs. by the A.O. 1950, for “Governor General”.
2. Subs. by Act 3 of 1951, sec. 3 and Sch., for “Governor”.
3. The words “or Rajpramukh” omitted by the A.O. 1956.
4. Subs. by the A.O. 1950, for “Province” which had been subs. by the A.O. 1937, for “Presidency”.
5. The words “or a Lieutenant-Governor” omitted by the A.O. 1937.
6. The words “or a Member of the Council of the Governor General of India” omitted by the A.O. 1948.
7. The words “or of the Council of any Presidency” omitted by the A.O. 1937.
8. The original words “Governor General, Governor, Lieutenant-Governor or Member of Council” have successfully been amended by the A.O. 1937, the A.O. 1948 and the A.O. 1950 to read as above.