Indian Penal Code (IPC)
Section 75. Enhanced punishment for certain offences under Chapter XII or Chapter XVII after previous conviction
175. Enhanced punishment for certain offences under Chapter XII or Chapter XVII after previous conviction.- Whoever, having been convicted,—
(a) by a Court in 2[India], of an offence punishable under Chapter XII or Chapter XVII of this Code with imprisonment of either description for a term of three years or upwards, 3[***]
shall be guilty of any offence punishable under either of those Chapters with like imprisonment for the like term, shall be subject for every such subsequent offence to 4[imprisonment for life], or to imprisonment of either description for a term which may extend to ten years.]
1. Subs. by Act 3 of 1910, sec. 2, for the original section.
2. The words “British India” have successively been subs. by the A.O. 1948, the A.O. 1950 and Act 3 of 1951, sec. 3 and Sch., to read as above.
3. The word “or” at the end of clause (a) and clause (b) omitted by Act 3 of 1951, sec. 3 and Sch.
4. Subs. by Act 26 of 1955, sec. 117 and Sch., for “transportation for life” (w.e.f. 1-1-1956).