11. Enquiry and award by Collector
1[(1)] On the day so fixed, or any other day to which the enquiry has been adjourned, the Collector shall proceed to enquire into the objections (if any) which any person interested has stated pursuant to a notice given under Section 9 to the measurements made under Section 8, and into the value of the land and at the date of the publication of the notification under Section 4, subsection (1), and into the respective interests of the persons claiming the compensation, and shall make an award under his hand of-
(i) The true area of the land;
(ii) The compensation which in his opinion should be allowed for the land; and
(iii) The apportionment of the said compensation among all the persons known or believed to he interested in the land, of whom, or of whose claims, he has information, whether or not they have respectively appeared before him:
2[Provided that no award shall be made by the Collector under this subsection without the previous approval of the appropriate Government or of such officer as the appropriate Government may authorise in this behalf:
Provided further that it shall be competent for the Appropriate Government to direct that the Collector may make such award without such approval in such class of cases as the Appropriate Government may specify in this behalf];
3[(2) Notwithstanding anything contained in sub-section (1), if at any stage of the proceedings, the Collector is satisfied that all the persons interested in the land who appeared before him have agreed in writing on the matters to be included in the award of the Collector in the form prescribed by rules made by the appropriate Government, he may, without making further enquiry, make an award according to the terms of such agreement.
(3) The determination of compensation for any land under sub-section (2) shall not in anyway affect the determination of compensation in respect of other lands in the same locality or elsewhere in accordance with the other provisions of this Act.
(4) Notwithstanding anything contained in the Registration Act, 1908 (16 of 1908) no agreement made under subsection (2) shall be liable to registration under that Act.]
1. Section 11 re-numbered as sub-section (1) thereof by Act No. 68 of 1984, sec. 8.
2. Ins. by Act No. 68 of 1984, (w.e.f. 24-9-1984).