10. POWER TO SUMMON PERSONS TO GIVE EVIDENCE AND PRODUCE DOCUMENTS IN INQUIRIES UNDER THIS ACT.
(1) Any excise officer duly empowered by rules made in this behalf shall have power to summon any person whose attendance he considers necessary either to give evidence or to produce a document or any other thing in any inquiry which such officer is making for any of the purpose of this Act.
(2) A summons to produce documents or other things under sub-section (1) may be for the production of certain specified documents or things or for the production of all documents or things of a certain description in the possession or under the control of the person concerned.
(3) All persons so summoned shall be bound to attend either in person or by an authorized agent as such officer may direct and all persons so summoned shall be bound to state the truth on any subject respecting which he is examined or make statements and produce such documents and other things as may be required :
Provided that the exemption under Sec. 132 and Sec. 133 of the Code of Civil Procedure, 1908 (5 of 1908), shall apply to requisitions for attendance under this section.
(4) Every such inquiry as aforesaid shall be deemed to be a judicial proceeding within the meaning of Sec. 193 and Sec. 228 of the Indian Penal Code (45 of 1860).