Motor Vehicles Act 1988
127. Removal of motor vehicles abandoned or left unattended on a public place.
1[(1) Where any motor vehicle is abandoned or left unattended on a public place for ten hours or more or is parked in a place where parking is legally prohibited, its removal by a towing service or its immobilisation by any means including wheel clamping may be authorised by a police officer in uniform having jurisdiction.]
(2) Where an abandoned, unattended, wrecked, burnt or partially dismantled vehicle is creating a traffic hazard, because of its position in relation to the 2[public place], or its physical appearance is causing the impediment to the traffic, its immediate removal from the 2[public place] by a towing service may be authorised by a police officer having jurisdiction.
(3) Where a vehicle is authorised to be removed under sub-section (1) or subsection (2) by a police officer, the owner of the vehicle shall be responsible for all towing costs, besides any other penalty.
1. Subs. by Act 54 of 1994, sec. 37, for sub-section (1) (w.e.f. 14-11-1994).
2. Subs. by Act 54 of 1994, sec. 37, for “highway” (w.e.f. 14-11-1994).