Motor Vehicles Act 1988
26. Maintenance of State Registers of Driving Licences.
(1) Each State Government shall maintain, in such form as may be prescribed by the Central Government, a register to be known as the State Register of Driving Licences, in respect of driving licences issued and renewed by the licensing authorities of the State Government, containing the following particulars, namely:-
(a) names and addresses of holders of driving licences;
(b) licence numbers;
(c) dates of issue or renewal of licences;
(d) dates of expiry of licences;
(e) classes and types of vehicles authorised to be driven; and
(f) such other particulars as the Central Government may prescribe.
(2) Each State Government shall supply to the Central Government a 1[printed copy or copy in such other form as the Central Government may require], of the State Register of Driving Licences and shall inform the Central Government without delay of all additions to and other amendments in such register made from time to time.
(3) The State Register of Driving Licences shall be maintained in such manner as may be prescribed by the State Government.
1. Subs, by Act 54 of 1994, sec. 10, for “printed copy” (w.e.f. 14-11-1994).